Grace, co-founder of The CBD Department, registered nurse, yoga instructor, educator, and coach to many, shares her philosophy on building healthy habits as we enter the new year.
There isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution. Achieving true wellness is an evolving process and requires the balance of various elements of our lives. Grace believes that when we do begin to achieve a routine mastery of all those elements, the synergy and balance brings us closer to the consistent wellness we’re looking to achieve.
Grace just launched her new line, Aravinda Natural Healing Skincare. She developed the line while working as a COVID nurse during the pandemic. She knew she and her fellow healthcare workers were physically exhausted, emotionally drained and needing some revitalization. Working through this pandemic helped her to understand the importance of “refilling her own cup,” which would in turn allow her to continue filling others’. And that this mantra applied to more people than just herself and her co-workers struggling through these times. She wanted to find a way to help, a way to remind everyone that they deserve a bit of time for themselves to destress and unwind.
Grace truly lives her philosophy every day by building and constantly refining healthy habits. Today, she focuses on: Sleep, Nutrition, Hydration, Movement, and Mindfulness.
It’s more important than we think. We tend to ignore the side effects of sleep deprivation, even though the majority of us have probably experienced it even recently.
We need 7-9 hours of sleep per night. The body needs an opportunity to rest and recuperate in order to operate at an optimal level. If we’re not hitting those hourly goals, either our lives are overbooked or we can use some new structures.
Grace’s Sleep Tips
- Keep your hours the same each day as much as possible, gently easing the body into a natural rhythm
- Minimize screen time, especially before bed
- Read books or listen to audiobooks
- Enjoy the aromatherapeutic benefits of an essential oil diffuser. Experiment with lavender, chamomile, bergamot and frankincense.
- Don’t skip a soothing warm bath or shower, maybe using Aravinda Lemongrass Goddess Body Wash
- Try Proleve’s Nighttime Gummy Slices with melatonin to help you fall asleep naturally
- Soothe your soul into rest with your favorite tea. Grace’s personal favorite is CBD Living ImmuniTea with Elderberry and Lemon – especially this time of year.
- Indulge and relax with Aravinda Lavender & Bergamot Waterfall Body Lotion
In the morning:
- Stretch! Kick start your body- it hasn’t moved in hours!
- Enjoy a coffee, tea, or water with lemon. Take a moment to breathe as you enjoy that first drink of the day.
- Integrate your style of mindfulness, meditations or affirmations into the first hour of your day to get you into the ideal mindset.
- Try taking cooler shows to boost energy.
- Most importantly, plan in advance so you have TIME. Stress first thing in the morning won’t contribute to your sense of wellness.
Food is our fuel. Remember that next time you think about skipping breakfast.
- Stock up your kitchen with food that provides long lasting energy and contains complex carbs, fiber, vitamins & minerals.
- Try to stick to fruits, vegetables, lean meats, whole grains and non-processed foods.
- Some quick morning options include: Overnight Oats, Smoothies, Drinkable Yogurts, Granola Bars, 7NRG Pre and Post Workout Shakes.
- The more colorful the better! Incorporate foods of all colors to get a full spectrum of nutrients.
But most importantly, pay attention to your body. Notice what gives you energy and what makes you feel sluggish, bloated, or heavy. Then plan your meals ahead of time according to that your observations to help you maintain your healthy choices.
When you drink the right amount of water, you help make sure your body can flush toxins, lubricate joints, regulate digestion, boosts the immune system, improve complexion, jumpstart your metabolism, and reduce fatigue.
Add natural flavor or supplements with fruits, herbs or water soluble CBD to your water for variety to keep you drinking throughout the day. Try Active Full Spectrum Water Soluble Oil Tincture to seamlessly integrate CBD into your daily routine, reducing anxiety for many including Grace.
Keep your skin hydrated too! The skin is the largest organ and protects the rest of the body. It’s so important to keep it healthy & hydrated. Drinking water does the trick, but sometimes you want to give your skin a little more.
Take advantage of any opportunity for self-care and pampering. Even 15 minutes can be refreshing! Warm a bath for yourself with epsom salts, CBD bath bombs, essential oils, bubbles (for fun!), and candles. Then, indulge in the new Aravinda Lemon Fierce Charcoal Cream Mask and queue up your favorite true crime podcast!
4. Now, Move!
Humans don’t move around as much as we used to. Many of us have adopted more sedentary lifestyles. But regular activity activates muscles & strengthens bones, conditions the heart & lungs, pumps blood to circulate oxygen, boosts endorphins & stress relieving hormones, promotes better sleep, and improves focus & memory.
Grace’s Fitness Tips
- Aim for at least 30 minutes of your choice of activity 5 times per week
- Switch up your workouts to keep it exciting and keep your body guessing
- Find activities you genuinely enjoy, rather than forcing yourself to do a workout you’re not into. Grace loves walking or hiking outside in the summer, hitting the weights at the gym in the winter & practicing yoga all day, everyday.
- Give yourself pre and post workout boosts with 7NRG CBD Protein Packs (some are vegan friendly!)
- Incorporate planned breaks during a sedentary work day to stretch your muscles, get your blood flowing and give the mind a break. During a long work day, Grace tries to find time to walk into town for coffee or a smoothie on her lunch break on a nice day.
- You are a warrior, and you and your muscles deserve a massage and healing salve. Grace just released her Aravinda Juniper Berry Warrior Muscle Salve, developed to support an active lifestyle and give you actual therapeutic relief.
Studies show that mindfulness enhances overall mental health. It helps you live in the moment, maintain better self control, and improve sleep. Mindfulness has helped Grace get to know herself and her emotions better. It can harness anxiety and its associated symptoms (such as rapid heart rate and breathing). This year, get into the habit of creating meaningful moments of mindfulness.
Use small everyday moments to meditate and be mindful. Work your way into meditation by being aware of these small things. Try to get outdoors every day and immerse yourself in nature. Inhale fresh air, feel the sunshine and soak in the Vitamin D.
Grace’s Mindfulness Tips
- Pay special attention to your morning cup of coffee/tea/smoothie & notice how its taste, smell, temperature, appearance, etc. affects your senses. Create a more dazzling morning with a few drops of Celestial Alchemy Gold-Infused Zodiac CBD Elixir in your morning coffee
- Practice a body scan – with each breath focus your attention solely on a specific area of the body
- Experiment with breathing exercises and determine which one works for you
- Practice positive self-talk daily!
- Recite daily affirmations to remind yourself what you are capable of, what you have worked through and what goals you are still working towards. Grace uses apps with affirmation notifications & keeps Post-it notes on her desk and bathroom mirror
Finally, make sure to prioritize YOU. Prioritize developing and maintaining these habits to improve your wellbeing. On your journey, learn to be okay saying no. Be aware of your limits and don’t stack your plate too full!
Set goals for yourself. Which areas in your life need balancing? Which habits can you do away with and which new ones should you introduce?
The CBD Department is on this journey to wellness with you. The CBD Department takes pride in working with brands of the highest quality and assurances and providing you with the best information and products we truly believe in. We are hands-on, from the farms until you receive your products in your hands, and for support at any step of your journey. Stay connected for more posts sharing Grace’s wisdom!